My Dedicated Server Only Appears on LAN List

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Beta 0.3 Tech Support and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: My Dedicated Server Only Appears on LAN List Reply with quote

I have two good computers, so I decided to use one for a dedicated server. After much trial and error, I've got all of it sorted out, except that ever since I first tried making a server on this machine, it only appears on the LAN list on the other computer and doesn't ever appear on internet.

I don't know what information is needed to get to the bottom of it, but if there's anything needed, I'll try to provide it. Is there any command that I might've messed up long ago? I've also recently tried Knube's server config download thing. Of course, the problem has happened even before I used that.

Thanks,
Demonbane
Hobbes
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely you are using a router to connect both computers to the internet and it is most likely your problem. You need to open a port on the router to allow others to see your server. Portforward.com is a good site to show you how to do this. The default port used by Doom3 is 27666. If you still have problems, let us know or you can come to the IRC to get help faster.

Hobbes
Demonbane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Sorry, the IRC isn't working for me and I have a lot to type, so I guess I'll post here.

I think I did everything I was supposed to, but I still don't see it on the internet list. However, I think I made some progress. I've heard elsewhere that it should show up in both LAN and Internet lists when set up properly. Anyone know anything about this?

Do I need to set up static IP addresses for BOTH computer?

Also, I got a little confused at the end. Don't know if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but under the NAT section of my connection gateway thing, I made two virtual servers. One with port 27650 typed in both the Private Port and Public Port areas. Same with the other server, but with 27666 in both fields. I selected 'Both' in the type selection for TCP/UDP. I had really no idea what I was doing, so I may have made problems.

Thanks so much in advance to the people who help me with this not-so-fun setup. And thanks a ton for getting me off to a great start, Hobbes.
Hobbes
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a static IP on both computers. Portforward.com says you need it on the PC you want to use portforwarding on but it is not absolutely necessary. You will need to know the IP address for the computer you want to host the server. If it is setup as static it will not change but if not it may change each time the PC is rebooted. I have never used NAT so I can't help you there. Myabe it would help if you could tell us what router you have (Make and Model). Most routers in addition to port forwarding will also have something called DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) which will expose the entire PC to the internet. I do not recommend using it forever but it will be a good way to get the server showing on the internet. If it does not work with DMZ then Port forwarding will not work either. Respond back with the router info and I can see what options you have available.

About the IRC: If you have an IRC program you should be able to get on. Netscape has IRC built-in but IE does not. The most common IRC programs seem to be Mirc and XChat. I believe there may also be a java IRC program that will run in your browser. Not sure what that one is called.

Hobbes
DemonBane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Sorry for the wait.

My router is a MSI RG54GS.

And yes, I've used mIRC quite a bit before, but don't have it on this computer right now. I'll probably end up installing it later.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Beta 0.3 Tech Support and Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Empty or InValid Ad file

Mod Database Top 100

Doom 3 Coop Mod Last Man Standing Coop .:. Copyright Platinum Arts LLC