SP co-op lag issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Beta 0.3 Tech Support and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: SP co-op lag issues Reply with quote

Hi all,

First of all, much praise and respect for the work on the LMS mod... I (and many others) appeciate the effort put in! Keep up the good work!

I have been joining many SP co-op servers which offer me the best possible pings. I have knocked the detail and resolution down a notch and disabled shadows. I have also tried using the suggested .cfg file in the LMS 0.3 beta notes. The SP version of Doom 3 runs smooth @1024 x 768 on high detail on my PC. The problem is this:

FPS are very smooth (as usual SP) when playing SP co-op, until any monster/s appear. Then, my FPS drops to approx 10 from 40-50+. Is this what should be expected from the 0.3 beta or have I a problem?

I am very excited about the SP co-op, but the current framerates I am getting are unplayable. Other's on these public servers playing SP co-op have claimed they are getting 25-30fps and that my computer 'sucks'.

My specs are OK I believe: AMD 2200+, 512MB RAM, 6800GT, 512KB Broadband connection.

I have also hosted a 2 player server where the other player was getting a stable ping of approx 70 (according to TAB in the LMS co-op mode). The game was 'playable' for him, absolutely smooth for me. When changed to SP Co-op, he claims it was unplayable and showed me some strange looking screenshots to prove his lag / fps issues. I have also heard people having a prob with a LAN 2 player SP co-op game running on fast computers... is SP co-op playable for anyone apart from the server host?

I have tried a fresh install of Doom3, then the 1.1 patch then adding just the LMS mod.

Any other opinions / advice would be most welcome.

Regards,

Obli
Obli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I have tried other suggestions found in the LMS 0.3 beta documentation:

Defrag of my harddrive, plus other PC maintenance such as spyware removal, registry cleaning and virus check.

I'm not sure what else there is to try. Are others playing SP co-op having any better experiences?
Skutarth
LMS Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get how you're running it on High at 1024x768. I technically have better hardware than you, but I can't even do that!

I've experienced the major fps drops that you have. This is most likely an error due to the time it takes to synchronize you to the server. I think it only renders the frames when you get all the required packets, so you don't become unsynchronized with the server.

The only solutions I can give to this is to play on LAN or wait for the Doom 3 patch that improves the netcode. Ressurection of Evil comes out supposedly on April 4th, so it will come soon if at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, a friend of mine and I just played SP Coop w/ v. 0.3 yesterday at my house. Specs:

Server:
Athlon 3500+, 1gb RAM, Gerforce 6800GT
Network: 100mbps
My computer: Pentium 4 2.4, 2gb RAM, Geforce 6800GT

There was no discernable lag--the game played fine and was a lot of fun! Clearly we have reasonably beefy computers, so it seems if throw enough cpu power at it it works fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the netcode must be improved for ROE if they're supporting 8 players officially - fingers crossed!

What I meant is that I run Doom 3 SP @1024 x 768 and get good framerates. To play any co-op mode online, I drop the res to 800 x 600 and detail to medium (I also switch shadows off)... and I still have major FPS problems with monsters.

To even get any co-op gameplay working is a remarkable achievement but I think I was mislead when the LMS team stated the SP co-op is nearly running flawlessly... unless it's just me with the major FPS problems.

I don't mean to be rude to your efforts LMS team, so apologies if you take my comments the wrong way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the last chap that posted the LAN details:

Was that LMS co-op or SP co-op?

Yes, your PC's are clearly more beefy than mine and you're playing over 100Mbit connection, as opposed to my 1/2MB broadband connection! Very Happy
Sutekh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skutarth wrote:
I don't get how you're running it on High at 1024x768. I technically have better hardware than you, but I can't even do that!

The 6800GT can easily run Doom3 at 1280x1024x32 on High, so it should have no problem with a lower res. What do you have?
Skutarth
LMS Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Becomes quiet*
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutekh is correct. What's holding him down is probably the processor power.
Obli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would any mod team members be able to comment on the major FPS drop I am experiencing when playing SP co-op? Is it normal?
AO
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely normal.
Hobbes
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some SP maps do have more lag than others. Hell1 has alot of lag when players are near the floating rock bridge but it is normally not so bad that the map is unplayable. You have to keep in mind that the SP maps were not designed to be played with more than one person so they are not optimized for it. To keep the original feel of the game, many entities need to be synched which in turn may cause some of the lag. AO and Nicemice have done a tremendous job of getting the maps working and I think in time it will get better, remember that this is still a beta release.

Hobbes
lgkahn

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here we were playing hell sp coop and the lag was terrible at 800x600
one machine is a p4 2.8 800mhs fsb with a nvidia 5200 other is a dual xeon p4 3.0 gig with same graphic card..

we were playing lan mode and the network ping times are 1 ms
so that is not it..
we reduced to 640x480 and it was playable... good work by the way.

other issue I want to play game completely through with normal levels with my son and have a save option.. this currently doesn't seem possible
thanks..
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low framerate. It's the graphics card.
AO
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting pretty low FPS on an athlon xp 2100 with nvidia 6800 when playing RoE CTF. It's the CPU.

Quote:
other issue I want to play game completely through with normal levels with my son and have a save option.. this currently doesn't seem possible

You mean SP COOP with save game support? that's never going to happen i think.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Beta 0.3 Tech Support and Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Empty or InValid Ad file

Mod Database Top 100

Doom 3 Coop Mod Last Man Standing Coop .:. Copyright Platinum Arts LLC