dark levels no flashlight--radar?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Beta 0.2 Tech Support and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corrupt Chocula
Die Hard LMS Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: dark levels no flashlight--radar? Reply with quote

i was thinking about man of the dark levels that have rooms where monsters spawn and there are no flashlights. would a radar thing in the top corner be good? what do you guys think

also would it be possible to have a fog where you can only see 10 feet? in the big open levels i can take out the monsters way before they get to me, and fog would make it way more exciting
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those are quite possible. The radar would take some effort to implement, tho.
Nocturn
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the fog idea, it would make for less lag (I think) and add a creepy effect on some maps.
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fog would make the maps more laggy, if anything. Notice the fog in hangar at some of the monster spawn points - thats actually a light with a fog texture applied...more lights = more gfx = less fps. I'm not sure about true network lag, but I'm pretty sure gobs of fog wouldnt help fps.
iten
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radar would be possible, and certainly a cool addition, but I'm not exactly sure how easy it is. I imagine it would take some time to implement it.
Timbobsteve
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look into the radar thing 4 u asap :wink:

-Timbobsteve
BEERman
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Nightvision or Infra-Red instead of the flashlight.

I can't do the coding part of it, but I'm sure AO/Iten wouldn't have much troubles.

All you need is a shader image (640x480), and you overlay that shader image on the HUD GUI. Search it on D3W and you'll find some cool stuff on the what it would entail to setup.

Take a look at say Berserk, That's how they do the "bloody view" effects. Which is basically the same, just the "bloody view" is a red bloody shader, or NightVision would be green with some scan lines happeinging.

I know I could make the shader material no problem in PS (as well as write the material shader to go with it).
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infa-red would be sooooo cool. Like, based on the heat of the demons or something. Night vision...too many games have it, but infa red sounds awesome.
iten
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night vision would be more realistic. Infra-red would just be fake, it wouldn't really outline monsters well or anything.
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're right that it would be sort of fake-ish, but it would still pwn. Anyway, whichever works best.
BEERman
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into the code tho. I swear I saw something about infrared while I was randomly browsing the SDK one day.. I haven't been able to find it again but I swear I saw something about it

also, I still gotta readup on how cuz I haven'thad time yet. But "mtrvision" overlays junk onscreen, I'm sure with minor improvements we could make sweet Infrared.

What about this.

Make a new key/val pair for most visible entities to use (monsters, func_statics, _movers, etc... it'd have to be almost as universal as name, and be able to be applied to anything the player sees. If unset in the editor it should default to say, 0)

This key/val would control a setting for heat value ( 0 to 255 maybe? )
0 being no heat, which would show up "cold", and 255 being "damn hot"

Than have a texture that gets overlayed as a "blend add" type stage on the entity (althought hat would recquire alot of work cut n pasting that into EVERY .mtr file...

**OR**

First for this we'd have to dedicate a shaderparm to the Infrared (global0, global1, are unused, I think shaderparm11 or 12 is where those open up)
This would be of course player individual. Then the key that the player uses for IR-vision will toggle that shaderparm on/off (0/1)

FOr now I'm just going to call it "visionparm"

We could modify the material shader for all the monsters. for most entities you can set "_colour", which are shaderParms0 to 3 (R G B Alpha). We can use these values to setup it's colour perfectly. (maybe you want a stealth monster to be blue to mesh with walls in IR-mode, who knows)

So you setup the .mtr - with something like this tacked onto the end:

{
_blend add
_ map *monsters diffuse map texture*.tga
_ red parm0
_ green parm1
_ blue parm2
}

that'll tint their base texture with your tint. You can put if's in a material as well. I dunno how to write that part ATM, but you'd have to put *if "visionparm" == 1*, then display this stage (else don't display)

We could also add a 2nd extra stage to make it look better. This would need the same "if visionparm" == 1 " setup: I'll talk about this later.

That would just be applied to entities that the mapper wants to have heat. Maybe all the entities where _color isn't set it just assumes it's "dark".. (we'd also have to set something in the code I think that if anything is "dark" it's minimum tint is say "say rgb 0.2) Cuz otherwise it'd be no overlay at all, which wouldn't tint it).. Also, a new worldspawn key/val for base heat for all those objects (or hardcode it so worldspawn is always "0 average heat".. although I think the key/val would be more useful in case you wanted to make a really hot level (like in hell)..

The system would take some work, because you'd have to say take those heat values (parm 0 - 2), add them together, divide by 3 to average it out. THen have this value transmitted back into Parm Values for the next stage of the material mods I'll mention. Now how this part works is weird. It has to take that "average heat value" and set these "new shaderparms"

Ok well now the "average heat value" will be between 0 and 255:

If it's 0, it should be pure Blue. If it's 255 it should be red.
We'd have to have it take the number it gets and turn it back into RGB with some equation... (This is definitely where AO and Iten will be needed.. well everywhere else too lol)
Or maybe just a simple table??

FYI, parm12 (an uncreated parm we'd have to use) will be RED
parm13 will be GREEN
parm14 BLUE for my explanation below:

if "average heat" = 0, parm12 (red) = 0.0, parm13 (Green) = 0.0, Parm14 (Blue) = 1.0

up to:
if "average heat" = 255, parm12 (red) = 1.0, parm13 (G) = 0.0, parm14 (B) = 0.0

Here's the second stage of the material mods we'll make (the one that uses this color information to colour the object with the tint from the heat value)

Again this one needs the "if "IR-vision is on" part added:

{
_blend add
_ map *infrared overlay*.tga <-- make it a black and white (although still RGB format) texture that's just a difference map (white = bright, black = dark... who'da thunk)... the colors set by the new RGB parms (parm12-14) will control the actual tint applied (white parts will get "full" tint, while black parts get no tint. We'd make the miage have no black tho cuz we want it all to be tinted at least a little bit when IR is on.)

I apologize for how it's kinda hard to read and sprad out, but I had a lot of little ideas to start, but more little ideas kept popping up, but I'm not 100% sure how each works so I threw everything I could think up into this post.
_ red parm12
_ green parm13
_ blue parm14
}

You could add the scanlines to this one and have it "translate x y" to scroll the lines. You can also use sinetables n equations n stuff in the shader so you could make it look at a Sinewave table, and you know brighten n darken each parm accordingly. Like so (This doesn't use a sine-table... can't do that yet)

__ red (parm0 * 2)

YOu get the idea. It'd just change the color a bit randomly to make it "morph" like IR-Vision does in real life. We could even use heathaze.vfp (although that's gonna eat FPS...) to do "light deforms" as well, but I don't think we'd need it to look really good (alhtough you would to make it perfect... but I think for MP it's too much performance loss for not much visual improvement)
Corrupt Chocula
Die Hard LMS Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Beta 0.2 Tech Support and Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Empty or InValid Ad file

Mod Database Top 100

Doom 3 Coop Mod Last Man Standing Coop .:. Copyright Platinum Arts LLC