About weapon balance issues (rant)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Beta 0.2 Tech Support and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: About weapon balance issues (rant) Reply with quote

Chaingun:
LMS beta 0.2 weapon balance seems to favour chaingun too much. I noticed that 95% of time I ran around with chaingun because I had not much other choice... and there is plenty of ammo for it. I think 95% of players will also use chaingun as their main weapon, so LMS is mainly chaingun frag fest.

Shotgun(s):
Also, LMS claims to keep DooM1/2 heritage alive. I must disagree, LMS shotgun is total DISGRACE and saying it keeps DooM1/2 traditions alive is total HERESY. Well, at least for old DooM1/2 players. :-)

If you try to recreate double-barreled shotgun from DooM2, you must pay attention to loading time, which is somewhat faster in DooM2. Damage seems to be ok, as it kills one imp per shot. Now, most of the time you now load your shotgun and watch when your chaingun toting mate takes 10x more kills.

Current shotgun model could do better as normal pump-action shotgun which DooM1 introduced. With 7 shell clip and decent speed it would be good choice, if thoughtfully recreated in D3 LMS.

Of course, I personally favour DooM1/2 balance, where chaingun was more like ranged (sniping) weapon and players tend to use shotguns in close&medium range combat. And weapon balance issues are always up from mod creators, but please try to at least give a thought to this. Good way to get some perspective is to play some of the best user made DooM1/2 maps in ultra-violence. :-)

References:

George Bell's DOOM Weapon Damage Information
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/lmps/tyson/weapons.html

DoomWorld:
http://www.doomworld.com/
Corrupt Chocula
Die Hard LMS Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you forgot to mention incredible weakness of rocket launcher--which is even worse because its my favorite weapon Sad
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're trying to fix many weapon balance issues. You've gotta remember that LMS is still in beta form, and isnt perfected yet. We had a rather large debate over how the shotgun would load. I'm working on the new db shotty model, but you have to remember that we're aiming for the same gameplay style as doom1/2, plus our own stuff - we're not trying to *remake* doom1/2. Your comments have been quite helpful and constructive; we'll be sure to take them into account.
iten
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that in Doom 1 and Doom 2, the double barreled shotgun animation was like 4 fps. Making it look realistic while keeping a good reload rate is much harder when players will be expecting more realism. Very Happy

It's always good to have a challenge though.
-=Warhead=-
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iten wrote:
The problem is that in Doom 1 and Doom 2, the double barreled shotgun animation was like 4 fps. Making it look realistic while keeping a good reload rate

Ever notice how you only really need about a 1.0 ghz and 32 ram to play doom 1 and 2 lol.. Key word in that sentence..

4 FPS.. lmao
Die Hard LMS Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 ghz? more like 386 processor and 4 mb ram Very Happy final doom needs a 512kb video card Laughing
MercyKiller
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.0 ghz? ROFL...what source port are you running...I dont think even doomsday is that much of a hog...
Nocturn
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it my old 486 Cool
Salamandra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I played it on my old 386.

If you needed 1 GHz to play Doom 1, people would get very pissed off waiting about 7 years for the appropriate computers to become available.
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually play doom 3 with a 1 ghz if your graphics card is good enough and you are running linux ;D Take care.
-calimer
Salamandra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I doubt that would run particularly well.
AsDDff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout giving the smg a grenade launcher addon... of course you would have to load in a new grenade everytime you shot it Twisted Evil
calimer
Mod Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that is a cool idea. I was actually pondering a stand along grenade launcher weapon but your idea sounds cool too. It probably wouldn't make it in to Beta 0.3 but maybe we can think about it for Beta 0.4 Thanks for the suggestions! Take care.
-calimer
XxLaVaxX
LMS Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either/or throw a grenade or load it into a grenade launcher and shoot instead and Evil or Very Mad kaboom Twisted Evil both ways that sounds cool ,nice one
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nocturn
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XxLaVaxX wrote:
either/or throw a grenade or load it into a grenade launcher and shoot instead and Evil or Very Mad kaboom Twisted Evil both ways that sounds cool ,nice one

You could always go an akimbo...machine gun in one hand grenades in the other...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Last Man Standing Coop Forum Index -> Beta 0.2 Tech Support and Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Empty or InValid Ad file

Mod Database Top 100

Doom 3 Coop Mod Last Man Standing Coop .:. Copyright Platinum Arts LLC